Sunday, January 13, 2008

Suits

Ugh.

What I know about suits isn't even worth posting about.

I'm a Jeans and T-shirt kinda guy. And since my office is fairly casual I've never really had to operate outside of those parameters. Hell, some of the IT departments pads around in shorts and sandals in the summertime. So compared to them, attire wise, I'm laughing.

But, new jobby equals new responsibilities, equals the need to upgrade my wardrobe, equals me needing to buy a suit.

First off. Suits are expensive, yo. I went shopping at the Bay yesterday because a friend alerted me that they were having a clearance sale. Yah, clearing out all the crap because the good stuff had been sold already. There was nothing for me there. S and I experimented and found a couple that would have been really nice, but lo and behold those suits were the only ones not on sale at the time.

It's really hard to mentally push yourself to dropping 500 dollars on a suit, when nearly identical ones in the same department are going on sale for 180. There's a financial gap there thats hard to justify.

In the end we walked away from the suits. I'm not against paying five bills for a good suit. Sooner, rather than later, I'm going to need it no matter what. But I wasn't really feeling the 'I need to buy this suit right now or my life will cease to have meaning' vibe. I've still got about 700 dollars worth of school related expenses that I need to clear from my credit card over the next month or so before I make any other big purchases.

Then, when I'm debt free, and better able to justify the expense, is when I can take my time and find a suit that I really want, as opposed to one that just happens to be available.

No comments: