Thursday, January 17, 2008

An early pass at some vows...

I think it starts strong, but it ends in pure shmaltz.

Ultimate Frisbee has given me a lot over the years, good friends, good health, twisted ankles, cut up knees and a seemingly endless shopping list of other aches and pains.

But I never thought it would give me a person as special as S.

I first met S at the start of a new Frisbee season. She’d taken a couple classes and was a little nervous about having to step on the field for the first time. But you’d never know it from the way she acted.

Her smile instantly lit up the room and worked it’s way into my heart as well.

Playing it cool, it never pays to play your cards too early, I made sure that I was always available if Stacey wanted to throw the disc around before the game or down a pint after it.

My goal was to play this strictly long term. Maybe at the end of the season, if things worked out well, I’d work up the nerve to ask her out. But it didn’t really work out like that.

The more time I spend with Stacey the more I realized that there’s no way a woman like this was going to be single three months from now. If I didn’t move, and fast, I was going to miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

So I asked her out and for some reason that neither one of us has ever really been able to figure out, she said yes. One date turned into two, two dates became two weeks, and two weeks became two months and the next thing you know I’m trolling jewelry stores and trying to figure out a way to talk to her parents ‘alone’.

I’ve lost a lot of Frisbee games over the last couple of years but in the end I’ve won the only thing that matters.

No comments: