Monday, April 14, 2008

Toronto Comic Convention

Scottie and I hit up the Toronto comicon on Sunday.

It was full of cheap comicy goodness. I think I bought somewhere in the realm of 50 - 60 comics and plugged some fairly decent holes in my collection. I STILL can't find Morrison's run on Flash or the end of Ennis' Hitman. I must have gone through just about every back issue box in the place looking for them.

Somewhere along the way though I did find a pretty sweet run of Action Comics and Hellblazer. (I know I should probably just buy every HB comic in TPB form, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I'm a comic snob at heart, I want the singles)

It's only my second Comicon but I'm already noticing a handful of repeat fans. One particularly....aggressive...fan is absolutely fascinating in his singleminded domination of every space he inhabits.

I got some Green Arrow comics signed by Mike Grell, half a dozen Invincible issues signed by Ryan Ottley and a mixed bag of stuff signed by Leonard Kirk.

I actually laid out 60 bucks to get a sketch by Leonard Kirk. I got him to draw Supergirl and Buzz from his time on Supergirl. It was absolutely amazing. I like it so much I think I'm actually going to spring to have it framed. Kirk and Peter David's Supergirl was one of the few comics I actually kept up with in University and a lot of it had to with Kirk's art. He's got nice clean lines and actually draws realistic representations of women, as opposed to stick figures with breasts that I see in so many comics.

I'd say that I'd scan it and upload the picture, but that'd just be a lie and I think we're closer than that.

No comments: