Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Muzak: The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

So,

I’m really digging the new Raconteurs album. Personally, I suck at doing music reviews, as my University elective will show. I find it really hard to articulate what it is I like about a particular, song or album beyond…

“You see how s/he rhymed those two words there? Watch and splotch? That’s good writing”

I’m impressed that after something like seven or eight albums Jack White is still able to consistently turn out something like this. Considering, in this musical age, some bands never can’t make it beyond their sophomore release the fact that White is still going, and going strong, is definitely worthy of note.

He’s like the marathon man of the music scene.

My musical tastes tend to lean towards darker and grittier singer\songwriter stuff. (I’ve got the new Dresden Dolls on pre-order and I can’t wait to get my hands on that) It’s not that you can’t be a great musician by performing someone else’s songs. I don’t believe that for a second. But, as someone who’s dabbled creatively from time to time, I like the idea of taking a song from concept to finished product and have the quality of the end result rest entirely with you. I find that few things in life are as satisfying as pulling something like that off successfully.

Anyway, according to my iPod, the two songs I’ve starred as being worthy of note are “Carolina Drama” and “Rich Kid Blues”.

Enjoy.

No comments: