Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Da Flick


I love this picture. It looks like I’ve got tremendous amounts of air.

So apparently I can flick now, just not in a game.

It started a couple weeks ago, I was horsing around in the backyard with my brother-in-law, just tossing a disc and for shits and giggles I decided to try flicking to him. After a few wayward throws I settled down into a nice rhythm. No one was more shocked than I was. This may seem like a rather minor victory to you, but in the four years I’ve been playing Ultimate I have yet to throw a flick with anything approaching distance, accuracy and success.

It’s become a standing joke. I can chuck a hammer, which is a more difficult throw that utilizes the same principles as the flick, but I can’t throw a flick itself.

A couple days later I tried to throw a flick during a game and it was the same old story.

So after the game a bunch of us were tossing the disc and once again I started trying to flick and it worked. Near as I can figure, I’m over thinking the throw during the game, trying to hard to force it work.

So my game plan is to warm up with flick almost exclusively and create some muscle memory. That way when I make the throw during the game it’ll happen automatically.

Well, that’s the plan anyway.

No comments: