Wednesday, May 7, 2008

School: Speech #1

So,

my Speechwriting and Presentations is actually more of a Public Speaking class.

How did that happen?

Anyway, here's my first speech, 250 words long, which is supposed to introduce me to the class.

(Hint: I'm the tall guy in the back)


How I came to be in this class

In 2003 the SARS virus swept through Toronto and the local film and television industry, highly dependant on American production, was dealt a body blow from which it has yet to recover.

2003 also happened to be the same year that I graduated from York University with a degree in film and television production.

So I was out in the real world with a degree for an industry that was suddenly devoid of any jobs.

At first I managed to eke out a living working for fly by night production companies that couldn’t guarantee my employment for more than a month at a time.

After a couple years of this I decided that steady employment was more valuable to me than being a part of an industry that could barely support itself. So I took an administrative job with the Canadian actor’s union. Respectable pay, but hardly challenging from a career standpoint.

And I was content, for awhile anyway.

But soon the lack of a creative outlet began to frustrate me.

So I took a chance and enrolled in the Public Relations certificate course at Ryerson. A couple months later a PR position opened up at my office and despite no formal schooling in the subject, and a lack of applicable job experience, I got the position.

So now I find myself in the going to school for a job I already have. A small price to pay for a regular paycheque and a creative outlet.

No comments: