Thursday, May 15, 2008

NCD #8: When will Final Crisis get here?

Booster Gold #9

Geoff Johns continues to do what he does best, mine DC’s past for continuity errors to smooth over. This week’s victim of nostalgia is the Justice League International. In Booster Gold #9 Johns makes an attempt to explain away how Maxwell Lord showed up in the pages of Countdown to Infinite Crisis with a flesh body instead of the cyborg chassis we last saw him sporting.

It wasn’t a great explanation, apparently he’s one massive skin graft, but it’s more than anybody else could be bothered to do. John’s time on this title is coming to a close so at this point he’s really not really advancing the plot much, just tying up loose ends. (I suspect the next issue won’t extend much beyond a generic fight scene and a long villain exposition about why they’re doing this)

But the biggest question I have about this issue is; Does Batman wear his entire costume under every disguise, bat ears and all?

Green Lantern Corps #24

Patrick Gleason, you’ve done it again, Oh and kuds to everyone else who helped out with this issue. I’m glad to see that the Green Lanterns have officially swiped Mongul from Superman for their own Rogue’s Gallery. It just makes sense to have an intergalactic dictator match up against the space cops, as opposed to the guy who could be almost anywhere in the blink of an eyelash but rarely leaves downtown Metropolis.

In this issue writer Peter Tomasi tries a different take on the Black Mercy by making it show victims their greatest fear rather than deepest desire. Considering Mongul is now the leader of the Sinestro Corps it’s a neat little twist that pays homage to Mongul the first’s most recognizable story while acknowledging his son’s new role in the GL mythos.

I approve.

Batman #676

This is the first part of Batman R.I.P. which promises to change everything in Batman’s life…again. Here we’re introduced to the Black Glove group who may, or may not, know Batman’s secret identity. Tony Daniels art and layout is much more palatable this time out than it was in the previous issue. Unfortunately readers are still getting stuck with serviceable art when they should be getting someone a little more A-list. I understand if Kubert is off that list for perpetually blowing deadlines but surely there is someone a step up from Daniels.

I’m a little bitter because I was hoping for something really visually different for the new batmobile and what I got was a generic re-tread of the first bat-car, only with red headlights. I wonder if Batman’s throwaway line about the car ‘not being what he expected’ is part of the story or Morrison’s opinion on the limitations of the artist he’s been saddled with.

Green Arrow \ Black Canary #8

I read this title because I like the character of Green Arrow.
I’m clearly not reading it because I enjoy the writing or the art.
I hate myself.

Walking Dead #49

However, I am reading this title because I enjoy both the art and the writing. Robert Kirkman has significantly pared down the group of survivors who were previously residing at ye olde prison complex. And despite the perception the reader is left with after the bloodbath of the last issue, the original group of survivors isn’t quite as decimated as they seem, especially when you take into account those who left in the RV with Dale and Andrea.

In this issue, with the exception of a brief cameo by Michonne, we follow Rick and Carl as they attempt to find food and shelter after escaping from the Governor’s deathsquad. It’s a nice simple break from the all out action this title usually provides. It feels like everyone, writer and readers alike, are taking a nice deep breath before plunging into the next chapter of a post-apocalyptic zombie world.

I can’t wait.

1 comment:

GunMetalBlue said...

I dunno how you can keep up with it all man. I have trouble reading Runaways, Buffy, and Ultimates on a regular basis. A better man than I my friend.